Question

Avoid Menu Opens on Heatmap Previews?

• 8 February 2023
  • 1 reply

LOVE the heatmap feature. However, most of our clients’ pages have a menu in their top nav. I *do* want to be able to see how many people click on the “Menu Open” button/option in the heatmap. However, I *do not* want the preview to show the menu opened - I want to be able to see the homepage itself. 

Any idea how to tell the preview-grabber NOT to open the menu?

I’ve seen the other conversation about setting up a segment that excludes anyone who clicks the menu, but I want to include those clicks, I just don’t want to see the menu opened. 

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @rcadden! Thanks so much for reaching out about Heatmaps! 😊

I’m so glad to hear you love the feature! There’s isn’t currently a way to adjust the display in Heatmaps, but you could accomplish what you’re looking to do by viewing the scroll map/click map within the session itself via Page Insights which will give you more flexibility on the visualization you see. 

For example, you could create a segment filtering for users who clicked on that “Menu Open” option, view a session within that segment, then navigate back to Page Insights on that page, prior to the user clicking that option. You could then get a visualization in the click map or scroll map prior to the user clicking “Menu Open”. Here’s an example of where you could see this visualization:

Please let me know if this works as a solution for you and if you have any other questions!