Question

Benchmark your site using FS

• 3 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m curious to know how others use FS to benchmark their site. I know probably the answer is….it depends, lol. but I figure it in general you may have some general metrics you like to keep track of. Or any tips, suggestions that you learned along the way.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

What a great topic, @DataSeed99! I hope we’ll have a few others chime in, and I’m sure @stevenshyne has experience here from working with many FullStory users.

In the meantime though, I have a few resources that could help provide some inspiration.

• The new FullStory Home page was built with pre-made cards that measure common metrics around engagement, performance, and bug/error monitoring. 
  • This FullStory Cookbook shows example dashboards for many of the metrics our users regularly keep tabs on like conversion monitoring, feature adoption, etc. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @DataSeed99 you’re right - it depends 😁 

I would say FullStory alone isn’t great for benchmarking because you’re just getting insights into your users and their behavior on your site(s) and/or app(s). But what you can do – what our team does – is use aggregate data from research organizations, most specifically Baymard to get insights into overall UX patterns – good, bad, or otherwise.

Once you find an article on Baymard that works for your use case, you can use that to measure and size up your own UX to see if there are breakdowns or areas of friction that users have noted on other sites. 

And you might be thinking “wait, this isn’t benchmarking still” and I agree, but it gives you a chance to marry VoC and usability feedback from several brands with insights into your own experience.

Hope this helps!

PS Baymard does offer many blog resources for free but most articles require a paid subscription. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

thanks @stevenshyne  we do have a Baymard subscription and typically use it to actually benchmark our site since I’m sure you know this they have their tool to measure your site against their guidelines and very easily see the areas you need to work on. We definitely use their guidelines to dig into our own data and identify severity on some issues. So far, their tool is the only thing that I’ve found that is close to be able to benchmarked a site in a robust way. Thanks for your insights 😀

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Great minds think alike then!