Solved

How to use a single metric card to show events ONLY when a watch element is present on the page?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

A question that I haven’t been able to find the answer is when you need to track a click event only when an element is present on the page. How do you do that in a single metric card?

I have the following segment, which includes the watched element and the click event. So I’d like to know how many times that event happens. I have a single metric card, but I can only do one event….do I select “Any Activity” or do I need to add any of the events from my flow? My Segment and the single metric card never match regardless of what I put on the single card so this leads me to not trust what I see in FS. because I can’t tell what is right or wrong.

icon

Best answer by megan 28 July 2022, 21:38

View original

12 replies

Hi @DataSeed99, tricky to comment too much to this without being able to play around in FS.

My recommendation would be to set the metric event to the click event (maybe segment the event further with a visited URL/Page refine). Then set the segment to those that see that watched event. This would allow you to only see users that click that element who also see the watched event.

I would not recommend any activity since that will show you the number of events users that click and watch do. Not exactly what you are trying to record, I believe. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

thanks @allisonwinter forgot to mention I didn’t add the visited URL or Page on the segment since this button and watched element only appears in PDP’s pages so if you saw it and you clicked is because you were on a PDP. I also tried to only have the segment with the click event and use the watch element on the metric card and then the segment (with the click event) but I get such a big difference in numbers depending the combination that I have no way to tell which implementation is right. That’s been my biggest thing using FS….you can get the data in a few ways and sometimes the nuances between how you implement the filters would obviously affect the data so it can be hard to tell which implementation is right. 😕 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @DataSeed99 may I know what you ultimately like to achieve? I mean, why is it important to have a single metric card?

Within your segment, you will notice that you have already a metric that’s been tracked. Like the below picture, you can explore the user trend and you can even set alerts.

Would this suffice for your watched element segment?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @LarsW the segment is what I’m using right now since the metric card is not working….seems to me this is something that should be accomplished using the metric card so you can add it to the dashboard as opposed to be jumping from the dashboard to segments. Otherwise, what is the point of having a dashboard if you can’t see the data you need? I’m also trying to understand the limitations of FS and why can’t do certain things so I can explain that to others since I’m the one others come to for help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@DataSeed99 you got a very good point here. there are certain limitations to dashboards that we should discuss with product at FS.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi all! Thanks to all for the potential ideas and solutions here. This is definitely a tricky one since the perfect solution would require a metric that shows a count of events for clicks on your selector *when* the watched element is visible on the page. At the moment, FullStory doesn’t support refining events by watched element status. I’ll be routing this use case to our product team to ensure it’s on their radar for the future! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @megan just to be clear...even if the segment applied to the “compare segments” includes the watch element that doesn’t necessarily mean it would actually look for the watch element? I’m very confused as to how you supposed to use the compare segments.  

Userlevel 5
Badge

@DataSeed99 Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to find the exact data you’re looking for. 

In order to count the number of times a user clicked a specific element when the watched element was visible on the screen, you would need to refine your event by watched element visibility. That isn’t supported today. 

Using segments can help you get close, but it won’t be a perfect solution. A segment would show you users who saw the watched element and clicked on your selector; however, it doesn’t ensure that the click happens only when the watched element is visible. It would tell you that both happened during the same session, but not necessarily back-to-back. 

I’ve made a short video here to hopefully illustrate these two comments in more detail. (Pardon my scratchy voice - I’m recovering from a cold!) I hope this helps explain, and I’m sorry we couldn’t solve this for you today! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

thanks for the video @megan that was super helpful and makes everything easier to understand.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@megan  how do I unselected the “Best answer” that I previously selected so I can nominate a new one as the best answer?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @DataSeed99! I just removed the Best Answer choice on my end. Are you able to select a new one now? If not, let me know which one was most helpful and I can mark it for you! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

thanks @megan I was able to select the best answer. 😁