Solved

Time spent on site - from a specific entry url?

• 11 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m looking to track people who enter a website specifically through the homepage, and get the average amount of time spent on the website as a whole (not just the homepage).

What is the best way to go about that?

icon

Best answer by lindsay 13 April 2023, 01:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @smallchonker! That’s a great question! 😊

You can pull that information by first creating a Segment with an event filter where the entry page is the homepage url:

Next, you can scroll down and view the Segment Health card to get the average session length:

Please let me know if you have any more questions! 

Hey thank you this is very helpful. Is it possible at all to add this into a dashboard, or is this only viewable from with each Segment?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @smallchonker! I’m so glad you found this helpful! 😊 

It's not possible to add this particular card to your own Dashboard view I'm afraid, but this is on our radar, and I’ve gone ahead and added a +1 to this existing feature request on your behalf.

In the meantime, you could recreate some similar metrics of your own, that could then be added to a dashboard of your choice. For example, since you are interested in Session Length - you could consider creating a custom metric that counts the unique users/sessions that had a specific session length or active time in the numerator, and then compare that across all users/sessions that completed the specific activity you're looking for.

That way, if you have a specific time-based Key Metric you're trying to hit for a particular page or workflow, you could monitor how many users/sessions successfully hit this goal. Here's an example of what that might look like based on users that visited a particular URL:

Please let me know if you have any more questions!