Question

Tracking browser's language

• 6 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi! - Anyone knows or can help me on how to track different browser’s language sessions?

I am trying to understand, for a funnel we created, the different conversions and usage by language.

For a little context, our app does work with several languages according to the browser’s settings.

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your help/guidance.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Pablo! Welcome to the Community, and thanks for your question! 😊

If you’re looking to view conversions and usage by language, we would first need to find out if there is anything that can help you differentiate between users viewing your site in various languages? 

For example, this differentiation could be in the URL (e.g. example/en/1 (English users) versus example/sp/1 (Spanish users), or are you passing in a custom user attribute via our FS.setUserVars API call, or something similar to mark the difference between language? 

Once I have this information, I can get a better sense of next steps! Thanks and looking forward to your reply! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @Pablo something I’ve done with clients is deployed a watched element on a global element like the language selector or something similar and built a metric for users who have Viewed that Watched Element by text, that way we can measure the frequency of sessions by different languages. Hopefully that helps!

Thanks @stevenshyne , I think that is a great idea and tip we can follow!! 👏🏼👏🏼

Will explore it a little deeper with my team. Think this can be very useful for other needs too.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for sharing your awesome insight @stevenshyne, as always! 🌟

@Pablo, please don’t hesitate to reach out should you have any further questions!

Hi @Pablo!

I had the same problem here. I've tried sorting my audience by browser language and haven't found a simple solution.

My suggestion for you:
1 - Define a "Unique sessions" metric
1.b - Choose "any activity" event

2 - Group by Country.

3 - Save it, insert on a Dashboard and download that.

4 - Import in excel, insert the language one by one in 50 countries
5 - Filter and SUM by language.

✨ ✨ It would be great to have "browser language" in the event dropdown. ✨ ✨

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Bruno Castro! Thanks so much for sharing that awesome strategy to sort by browser language! 

I’d be happy to help work with you to see if there’s another solution for you. Similar to my response above, I would need to know if there is anything that can help you differentiate between users viewing your site in various languages. For example, this differentiation could be in the URL (e.g. example/en/1 (English users) versus example/sp/1 (Spanish users), or are you passing in a custom user attribute via our FS.setUserVars API call, or something similar to mark the difference between language? 

Also, I appreciate you sharing event dropdown suggestion and have submitted that feedback on your behalf! 😊 Thanks!

Thanks @Bruno Castro ! Think that works mostly to track where users are located using the app, great! I will try to find something similar for Segments

Another thing is what language they prefer regardless of where they are connecting from, but still this Country is a good proxy!

Having the Browser language in the drop down would be awesome, hope it gets added soon.

Thank you all!