News

Retention Charting

Related products: FullStory

Hey Community! 

Building a successful digital product isn’t just about acquiring new customers—you also have to retain your existing users. Measuring retention and improving your products to keep users coming back needs to be an essential part of every digital strategy. And given macro economic conditions, it’s more critical than ever to focus on retaining existing customers.

That’s why we’ve created Retention Charting! Retention charting visualizes user engagement by tracking the number of users that return to a specific event after another over time. 

This feature is currently in Beta for all Enterprise and Advanced users.

By running a Retention Analysis, you can:

1. Find the answers to improving retention, without gaps in your data or lack of user context. 
  2. Find the answers to increased retention, with fully indexed, searchable data.
  3. Optimize your experience to keep users coming back.

Configuring a Retention Analysis

At its core, Retention measures the amount of time between two different user events. To measure this amount of time, you just need to tell FullStory what those events are.

Step 1: Choose the Starting Event

Step 2: Choose the Returning Event

Step 3: Choose your Retention Display 

Step 4: Select a Segment, Group By, and Time Range (as needed)

Interpreting Retention Data

There are two ways to visualize and interpret retention data in FullStory: Retention Curve and Retention Table.

Retention Curve

Retention Table

For more information on events, how to configure a Retention analysis and the value behind it, please check out our Knowledge Base article here! Log in with your FullStory credentials to access the article.

Feel free to leave any questions or comments below! 

Hi @lindsay I was have a couple of questions hope you can help me 😬

• The different blue shades on each cell is it mean to highlight the highest percentages? if it is, I don’t know what determines which cell(s) get highlighted...what’s the percentage threshold that a cell has to reach in order to get the darker blue shade?
  • On the FAQs first question “How do users show up in both On and On or After in the chart?” the second bullet point mentions: “For example, below we've selected Any Activity as our event and we see 100% in day 0 followed by 14% on day 1. This means that 14% of people completed a return event on day 0 and day 1.”  what I have bolded here is confusing to me, because on day 0 the percentage is 100% so I don’t understand why this paragraph is saying that a return events was completed 14% on day 0 and day 1.

Hey @DataSeed99! Thanks so much for these great questions! I am happy to help! 😊

1. You are correct in the shades of blue map to percentages, with it being darker the higher the percentage. Here is an image that shows the breakdown of percentages vs. the shades of blue. 
  1. I shared this with our team and it looks like you found a typo in our article- thank you so much for pointing that out! It’s now been changed to, “For example, below we've selected Any Activity as our event and we see 100% in day 0 followed by 14% on day 1. This means that 14% of people completed a return event on day 1 and any day after.”. 

Please let me know if you have anymore questions!

Hi @lindsay I’m trying to measure something using the retention feature. In our site if you purchased a part previously we display a little badge “you bought this before”. Clicking on the badge doesn’t do anything, and I’m trying to figure it out if customers that purchase a part come back later and purchase the same part again after seeing the badge.

So I’m thinking, doing something like would be accurate?

Starting event, looking for purchase events, a click to buy the part, from one of these main pages

Returning event, clicked the badge….any thoughts? I created the retention chart named “YBTB”

Hi @DataSeed99! Great question! 

If you’re looking to measure whether customers are coming back for a return purchase after seeing the badge, you may want to try creating a Funnel combining a Watched Element as the first step, then the purchase event/click as the second. Here’s an article you can take a look at for some best practices in custom events and watched elements in conversions. 😊

I also spoke to our team about your inquiry and they let me know we have a feature coming down the pipeline that may help with this, as it allows you to search for repeat events within a time period, rather than using the actual badge. I know you’re super on top of the new features we have rolling in, so keep your eye out for this one! 👀

Please let me know if you have any further questions!