Tip: For Figuring Out The Thing You Aren't Sure How to Do

• 14 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

One of the things that I think can be hard when skilling up with FullStory is sometimes knowing WHEN to use which type of card...  “For X situation: is it better to use a Metric or a Metric Trend, will a Funnel be the best way to capture what I’m looking for or something else?”  This “difficulty”/”learning curve” seems not uncommon, especially because in the absence of practice it’s easy for abstract ideas to blur together.

With that in mind, I took all the Card Types, the Card Names, Dashboard Names and put onto a spreadsheet so I could see, at a glance, what were the most common card types, what type of dashboards they lived on etc -- and really, any general patterns.

The thought/goal was that if I’m unsure of the “how”, I may more easily be able to identify where the thing I’m trying to do seems to fit in a more general pattern… and then, focus my approach.  To see the forest and then determine what tree to look at.

The attachment is that document, easily sortable, and also each item linked back to its place in FullStory knowledge base.  I hope this is helpful!!  ((and small suggestion: perhaps something like this could be implemented into the knowledge base to keep up with the latest cookbook cards))

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Very cool. I like the way you think, @Adam Weissman. Thank you for sharing! 

Userlevel 1

@Adam Weissman duuuude… this is superb, thanks for building and sharing this, gives us a massive leg up in building our own dashboards. I’d come across the articles before, but they way you laid them out makes it super easy to start to fast track this. Thank you so much!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@PaulieOLithic glad to hear it’s useful!!!  Feel free to reach out if you want to compare notes!