Tip: FullStory Naming Conventions

• 29 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Often times when setting up FullStory or onboarding new team members it becomes clear than a unified naming convention 📖 can be reaaallly useful to reduce confusion and increase speed to insights. 

Here are a few of our tips and takeaways:

[Noun]+[Verb]

It’s knee jerk for some to want to create Segments called something like “Clicked the Add to Bag Button” but if you make enough of these you’ll soon realize you have a growing list of “Clicked the...” Segments that become tough to scan. We recommend starting with a noun or the thing people are clicking or place people are going: “Add to Bag Button” or “Confirmation Page” and following it with your verb, like:

• Add to Bag Button Clicks
  • Confirmation Page Visits

You could take it a step further and add [Audience] to the front of that too, like:

• Prod - Confirmation Page Visits
  • Paid Media - Add to Bag Button Clicks

But that might be overkill for you and your team, so to encourage adoption try to K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple, Sillypants. 👖

“Funnel” for Funnels

Once you’ve built enough Segments to arm your team with insights, you’ll start to likely use those Segments in other areas of FullStory – Dashboards, Metrics, and Funnels. But what can be deflating is importing a Segment into Funnels only to be met with a long list of uncertainty. That’s why we ALWAYS recommend adding the word “Funnel” to the funnels you create in Segments; that way you can easily search, add, and mine insights faster than you can say “naming convention convention”

Avoid Duplicates and Doubling Up

Okay so this isn’t a naming convention thing per se, but it’s definitely related to data hygiene: before you create a new Segment, first check to see if that Segment already exists. There’s no automatic detection for duplicate Segments (ooooh - feature request? 🤔) so you might be inadvertently doubling up on someone else’s previous insight. 

Special Callout: Notes

Whenever our team creates notes, we always try to callout who or which team we are directing this too and a potential recommendation – just pointing out an issue is the first part. But we’ve worked with other clients that have special callouts for different teams, and use notes accordingly for that, especially if you have FullStory integrated into Slack and each new Notes creates a Slack message.

What other naming conventions does your team use? What other naming convention tips would you have for others using FullStory?

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This is very helpful, after some weeks my segments and dashboards started to get really hard to follow and find, some people would duplicate segments and others created empty dashboards and wouldn’t delete them, lol

I settled on a naming convention starting with the category then the area where the event is taking place...something like:

[Flow] PDP - Error Clicks

I used this article for guidance