Create Communty Groups by Industry

• 11 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey FS Community,

Had a great time at Spark last week; now back to work! As I’ve been reflecting on the inspiration and ideas to put to use, I’ve been thinking it would be nice to be able to connect with other DXI-minded individuals on the FS Community that are specific to our industry.

We’re in the wine business, and have only been using FS on our site for a few months now. I’m enjoying the learning process and excited to see what else we can do—but we didn’t ever run into anyone else at Spark to network with in our industry. 

I noticed that there is a “Groups” section of the community, but no way to create anything new. Would love to be able to make a group solely for users from specific industries, or that use the same platforms with FS. (as opposed to going to the general section and prefacing each post with something to the tune of “any other wineries here do this?”)

Is this a community feature that may come in the future?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @ACamarda! I’m so glad to hear you had a great time at Spark and that it inspired reflection and a desire to connect with other folks in your industry! 

I have to say, reading this post got me super excited because you’ve totally read our minds! We would love to create groups for folks to connect who are in similar industries. 😊 Thanks for sharing that and for providing that feedback on having the option to create a group yourself. 

I would love to learn a bit more about your desire to connect with others in the wine industry! Since this may be a more niche group, we would want to ensure you have other FullStory users to connect with, so perhaps there could be other industries or users that have experience in what you’re looking to connect on. For example, connecting with other ecommerce companies navigating regulated industries, or perhaps other users in the food and beverage sector. 

If you could please reply with more information on the following points, that would be super helpful! 

• Tell me more about your industry!
  • What types of conversations would you like to have?
  • Is there anything you’re doing in FullStory today that has already proven impactful for your team?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to hearing from you! 🤗

Userlevel 1

Thanks for following up, Lindsay. 

Working in the Wine Industry is a blast, and the developments within it are exciting.

Traditionally, wineries have sold largely through the 3-tier distribution system as well as sales generated through the tasting room. However, a large focus for us is our DTC/ecommerce market. We’ve built a strong brand over the past decade that has created long time members of our club. This is the main feature of our brand. Club memberships and club sales are the heart of the business. In the past, we have always been able to accomodate our members that want to visit our property and enjoy a unique personal experience.

Enter 2020…thankfully we already had a strong DTC structure setup, but not much in the way of a DX. Quickly, we were able to extend the brand experience to our members at home, and this proved very successful. Unfortunately, it created a “good problem”. Our membership boomed, but now that we are back to in-person experiences, less and less of our members are able to enjoy what we have to offer due to capacity. 

Our main goals now are to minimize member churn, and maximize member growth. The most common feedback received from cancelling members (locally) is that they value the onsite member benefits the most, but aren’t able to ever secure a reservation due to demand. Thus, we are doing everything we can now to ensure that no matter where a member is located, they get to experience the brand onsite or offsite (beyond just consuming/purchasing wine at home). What better way to do that than through our DX? FullStory is helping us better understand the member experience on our website and is helping us identify both the “happy paths” and the “sad paths”.

I’d love to have conversations with others in the industry not only just to see what they are doing to achieve the same goals, but also what experience they have with their ecommerce platform and the ability to make certain changes to enhance their DX (too many to get into here!). A/B testing ideas, etc.

For instance, most wineries of our size work with industry-specific ecommerce platforms (e.g; WineDirect, WooCommerce, Commerce7, etc). They are great, but all have their quirks, and would like to hear other’s experience with integrating FS with them. (for example, we have gaps in our sessions that include the checkout and signup flow; another, we’d love to be able to connect custom data from that platform to FS.)

So far, though, we are loving discovering everything that FullStory can achieve for us. Just one example that I feel like we’ve been able to identify a new use-case for: we’ve found that a large number of new members are joining the club in order to gain access to reservations. FS has been able to help us identify these members and help create a new segment and explore how to engage with them so that they aren’t tempted to leave immediately after getting the initial “visitation” benefit. 

Just one of many examples that we’ve been utilizing FS.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for this awesome and detailed reply @ACamarda!

It definitely seems to be a shared experience of many businesses these days to come up with creative ways to have their online experience reflect the same magic as their offline. The fact that you’ve been able to accomplish that is wonderful news! I definitely hear that although this problem is “good”, it still a bit of a pain point that needs managing. I also love to hear that FullStory has helped you uncover these insights and direct your attention to a pocket of folks that would benefit from a different engagement structure.

I appreciate you sharing your reasoning for the group! It makes sense to want to connect with others who are using similar platforms and looking to achieve similar goals of your industry. We will definitely be considering this feedback when creating groups in the near future, so thank you!

As far as the gaps you mentioned in your sessions, some ecommerce platforms route purchases through a different domain which affects the ability to capture the checkout session data. If the checkout is completed on a domain that is not controlled by you and your backend receives an order, server side configuration could help bring this information to FullStory! I would suggest taking a peak at this article here on how to setup server side events. If after reading this article you have questions regarding this setup, I’m happy to connect you with a member of our team to assist you with this.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! ✨